The largest megalithic site in the world
Laid out over 6,000 years ago, the stone alignments at Carnac are one of the most important Prehistoric sites in Europe. The 3,000 standing stones are spread over 40 hectares and stretch for 4 kilometres in length according to an meticulously organised plan.
Recent studies have suggested links between the alignments and changes during the Neolithic era when humans began to live a more sedentary existence. The stone lines lead to sacred “enclosures” while the dolmen were used for funeral and burial rites.
Subject to modification.
Opening hours for reception building
- 2nd May to 30th June: from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 1st July to 4th September: from 9.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- 5th September to 30th April: from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 1st January, 1st May and 25th December
- Reception area accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Non-paved paths among the menhirs
- The megalithic site at Le Ménec is more suitable for wheelchair access (depending on vegetation)
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Breton, Czech, Japanese, Russian
• From October to March
- Lecture tour: French (all year long), English, German, Italian, Spanish (upon availability)
• Reservations: 2 weeks
Duration: 1 hr
- Gift shop
- Videoprojection hall
- Exhibition hall
- Parking for coaches
- Adults: 6 €
- Concessions : 5 €
- Free admission: minors under 18*
* excluding school groupsLecture tour for groups (1 hr)
- 1 à 15 people : 55 €
16 à 30 people : 100 €
- 11 km south of the main road between Vannes and Lorient
- RN165, exit Quiberon Carnac, then D768 for 5.5 km and D119 Carnac
- D196 closed to coaches travelling east west
Site mégalithique de Carnac
Tel: (33) (0)2 97 52 29 81 - Fax: (33) (0)2 97 52 60 03
Reservation required for groups
Tel: (33) (0)2 97 52 77 97