Extending from the place de la Concorde to the Arc de Triomphe, the Avenue des Champs Elysées is a place for strolling, sight-seeing and luxury shopping.
However, until a few centuries ago this entire area was nothing but marshes and fields lying to the West of the city. Under Marie de Medici, a tree-lined path was laid, linking the Tuileries garden to the Place de l'Alma.
Andre Le Nôtre's re-design of the city layout caused a great deal of change in the area: the Champs Elysées, whose name means "Elysian fields", was indeed a mere field when it was named in 1709. It was a few years later, in 1724 that the avenue as it appears today was laid by the Duke of Antin.
Still a semi-wild garden until 1828, it would over time become one of the most beautiful areas of the city when the fountains and wide pavements were laid, and gas-lighting installed.
Today the "most beautiful avenue in the world" hosts many prestigious events including the Bastille Day parade and the finish line of the Tour de France.
Bus : 28, 32, 42, 72, 73, 80, 83, 93
Car Parks : Rond-point des Champs-Elysées, Invalides, Concorde
Velib stand : avenue Dutuit