FacebookTwitterYoutubePinterestInstagram

    Obelisk in Place de la Concorde

    More than 3000 years of history.

    Offered to France by Mohammed Ali , the viceroy of Egypt in 1831, the Luxor obelisk was placed in the middle of the Place de la Concorde on the 25th October 1836, after 5 years of journeys and adventures.
    Originally, the Viceroy sent both the obelisks which stood in front of the temple of Luxor: only one remains in France, the second having been given back to Egypt during Valéry Giscard d'Estaing's mandate.
    Classified as a historic monument since 1937, the 23 metre high pink granite obelisk was topped with a gold-leaf pyramidion under the presidency of Jacques Chirac.

 
 
    tagged as : French Cities, 75-Paris, Paris & Ile de France, Monument/Sculpture